Venison Pastrami Recipe for Venison Reuben Sandwiches
As an avid outdoorsman, I am thankful to have a freezer full of many different species of wild game. I am always trying to find new ways to prepare my wild game, especially venison. I stumbled upon a recipe that is a game changer: Venison Pastrami! After 5 days of curing and a few hours in the smoker, it turned out amazing! We paired it with some Marble Rye bread, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and a drizzle of Thousand Island dressing to make an absolute mouth-watering Reuben sandwich. Below is our recipe, enjoy!
- 5 Tbsp Morton Quick Cure
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp course ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp crushed bay leaf
- 1 Tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 4-5 lb venison roast(s)
- Mix ingredients and rub onto roast(s) ensuring a thorough coverage on the roast(s). Tightly rap the roast(s) in plastic such as plastic wrap. Place the roast in a bowl and refrigerate for 5 days turning the roast(s) over daily to ensure an even cure. I used 2 approximately 2 lb roasts.
- Remove roast(s) from the refrigerator after 5 days, and rinse cure off with water. Place roast(s) in a bowl and cover with fresh water, let sit for 2 hours. Drain.
- Season roast(s) with Hi Mountain Black Pepper Brown Sugar Bacon Seasoning. Place in Smoker or Oven uncovered for 2-3 hours depending on size of roast(s). Remove once an internal temperature of 160 degrees F is reached.
- Remove and let rest, slice to personal preference and enjoy!
Venison Reuben Sandwiches
For a Venison Reuben Sandwich use Marble Rye bread, Swiss Cheese, Sauerkraut and Thousand Island salad dressing.
Butter one side of each piece of bread and place butter side down on a pan on med/low heat.
Place Swiss cheese on both pieces of bread, cover one piece of bread with your pastrami and add sauerkraut.
Drizzle with Thousand Island dressing and place the second piece of bread on top to complete your sandwich. Slice and enjoy!
Chris Nyhus / Chris Nyhus Outdoors
Chris is a Pro-Staffer from Wisconsin and a Team Hunter for The Break TV on the Pursuit Channel.